Stedelijk Museum

The temporary Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art in the former Post Group building in Amsterdam has opened its doors on May 16, 2004. The museum there will be called
Stedelijk Museum CS.
The addition of the CS to the Stedelijk's name refers not only to the location close to Amsterdam's Central Station, but also to the fact that the Museum will be sharing the
building with other users: Stedelijk Museum cum suis. Among the other tenants will be
the design center Post Amsterdam and 11 (Elf), a restaurant/cafe enterprise on the top-(eleventh)floor.
Stedelijk Museum CS will be accommodated on the second and third floors of the striking high-rise on the Oosterdokskade (former building of The Post Group). There it will have
at its disposal 65,000 square feet including an entry hall, museum shop, coffee corner
and an educational space. The architects drew up the plans that will make it possible for
a former mail distribution center to be used as a museum. Both a permanent presentation
of the collection and a changing program of exhibitions and activities will be seen in
Stedelijk Museum CS.
One of the first spearheads this coming summer will be a large exhibition of furniture
in the Stedelijk-collection from the period 1850 to 2004, with emphasis on the oeuvres
of contemporaries Piet Kramer and Gerrit Rietveld. In addition, the Museum opens on
May 16, 2004 with a number of presentations of young contemporary artists from Holland
and abroad.
There will be direct access from the Museum to the restaurant and auditorium on the
11th floor – the top floor. The programming will be put together in consultation with
the users. On weekends Elf will be transformed into a nightly dance venue.

The ‘old' Stedelijk on the Museumplein has been closed since January 1, 2004.
According to plans, the doors will open again in 2008.
Stedelijk Museum CS; Oosterdokskade 3-5 ; Amsterdam


©2009 Dori Kaden